Thursday 22 August 2013

How much do we actually need? Kibaha experiences!

Approximately 2 months back, I went to an orphanage in Kibaha, just outside Dar Es Salaam, Tanzania.

It was a two week summer camp in which we had islamic lessons in the mornings and we volunteered in the evening and sometimes at nights.


We also went to see the nearby homes and orphan shelter. We went to one orphan shelter that was really heart breaking. In one room, there were several children - more than 10 sleeping; but according to people, that is 'normal,' but there was another thing that was even more heartbreaking - these children had no pillows to sleep on!! Isn't is sad how some of us live the most luxurious life and just two hours away from us there is someone who does not even have a pillow to sleep on?

This brings me to the main reason of this article, how much do we really need in life? I am talking about material possessions; how many pairs of clothes, shoes, cars, handbags do we 'need.' I am first talking to myself before I tell anyone else. This article is the realisation I had in Kibaha.

I brought with me 2 pairs of shoes, 4 pairs of clothes, 5 scarves, 3 chaadhars, some toiletries and medicines, and my gadgets. I didn't take alot as I thought that it was near home. Incase I need something, It can either be sent to me or I can go pick it up..

The surprising thing was that I didn't need anything else. That was enough for me! I looked presentable daily with only so little! Realization upon realization dawned...

How much do you think you actually need?


No comments:

Post a Comment